I've been getting rid of stuff in my house—donating clothes, books, other things that I'm not using, and throwing out old files, etc. It's been really hard to get rid of some of it, but it feels so good!
I had been walking into my FULL closet and thinking, "I don't have anything to wear". That was definitely a sign that a lot of that stuff needed to go! Most of it was still in good shape; some of it had barely been worn. But, I was holding onto it because I felt guilty, not because I wanted to wear it. Now I'm happy to think about someone wearing it who wants to wear it.
I'm still in the process of this purge, but here's what's so great so far...
1) Now when I look at my closet, I see a bunch of things I really like—things I do want to wear. Suddenly I feel like I have good choices.
2) It's less crowded / cluttered. It makes me feel better.
3) I have room to bring in new things I love.
When you do this, go through each item and ask yourself:
1) When was the last time I wore/used this?
2) Do I want to wear/use this?
3) Would I buy this again?
The second step of this evaluation is done on your relationships. This one might be harder (or maybe not!). Are there people in your life...
1) that you've outgrown?
2) whose values, interests and goals aren't in line with yours?
3) who don't enrich your life / bring you joy / encourage you to be your best?
Well, sister, if you answered "yes" to any of the above, it's time to distance yourself from them! You want to spend your precious time with people you love to be around.
The third step is on your thoughts. This is probably the hardest step. When you have a negative / stressful / overwhelming thought, ask yourself:
1) Is this thought serving me?
2) Is this an old thought that I've been thinking for so long I haven't questioned it?
3) What are other possible, positive or neutral thoughts?
Doing this is challenging—and a life-long project. But, it's worth it! Think about how great it will feel to have your life unencumbered, and filled with things, people & thoughts you love <3
Have a lovely weekend :)